Wednesday, August 31, 2005

first impressions...again

I just tried to post this and it didn't work, so here's attempt 2.
Amsterdam is a beautiful city! I love the narrow brick streets, the old buildings, and the canals. This morning Tina and I went exploring together with our maps. We were quite proud of ourselves for finding the Shelter Jordan where we will be working (it really isn't hard to find, but we are proud nonetheless) and we also walked past Anne Frank's house. We'll have to visit sometime. It is nice to be meeting so many people, but a lot of them are leaving soon, so that is difficult. They are understaffed at both hostels, so please pray that more volunteers volunteer! I have been told a number of times that I am an answer to prayer. In fact, I will be having a special duty...there are cleaners who are people who live in the hostels for free for a month and they clean the hostels. They are often not Christians, and they may be refugees or homeless people trying to make a new start, or people who do not have enough money yet to live "normally" in Amsterdam. I will be their supervisor, so I make sure that they are doing good work, encourage them, and really get to know them more personally, and in that way build relationships and have more opportunities to share Christ. Pray for me in this, that I will be Christ's hands and feet and mouth! I start my first official shift tonight. Originally I wasn't supposed to start until tomorrow (according to the schedule) so my first shift is an unusual one for it being my first. I will be an "attender" which means that I will go to the Bible study (that is being led by Harmen tonight) and help stimulate conversation with the guests...Before the bible study I will find out what the topic is and pray with Harmen. Perhaps there is more to it of which I am not yet aware? I will find out soon enough. Well, it is a beautiful day so I'm going to enjoy the sun on the patio.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First one to post a comment!

HAHAHA! Glad you are there and everything is great. We are praying for you at Grace Church and hope that God really moves through you and in you a ton this next year. Can we start the countdown now for your internship?

Anonymous said...

Hey Meghs-
I'm glad you made it there safe and are already enjoying yourself!!! I pray you have an amazing year and that God will bless you beyond your expectations and wildest dreams!!!
Have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mapple...it's Mango here....sound crazy don't I? haha Well, just wanted to say that I am VERY proud of you...I'm sure it'll be an amazing experience for you. Amsterdam...for a whole year..wow! That's so cool! haha Anyway, I hope u have a great time there! I will be praying for you, and checking up on your blogs as often as I can. Seems like forever since I've seen you, and now you're gone to Amsterdam for a year...oh well. We can keep in touch this way I guess lol Like the rest, I wish you all the best in your Amsterdam adventure :)