Monday, October 03, 2005

adventures!

So I thought my next post would be about my lovely visit to Gepke's church and such, and then today there was a fire. so I will tell you about that, and then about church, not that one is more exciting than the other, but one definitely more dangerous and scary, haha.
Our dryer has been giving us trouble quite often lately by not drying things, so I usually just put a load in twice and don't put a second load in the washer until i'm sure the load in the dryer will be dry. So this morning the dryer was trudging away and seemed to be drying, so I put a load in the washer and then went to cleaner time. After that we were going to put up the extra bunk beds, but instead I checked on the laundry to see how much time was left. When I entered the laundry room the dryer had a little stream of smoke emitting from it, so i immediately turned it off and began taking items out of the dryer. Thankfully Michael and Alexi were right there, and there was a fire extinguisher but we weren't sure if it was water or that powder stuff cuz it's in Dutch so I ran down the two flights of stairs and exclaimed "The dryer is on fire!" just as the alarm began to go off. Rosemary, Harold and I raced back upstairs to put it out and all was saved (well, not all the towels and aprons, or the dryer itself, but it didn't spread to anywhere else) so it's all good. But it was such a blessing that I went there when I did and we were able to stop the fire! And this way we get a new dryer that actually works...not that this was the way we wanted to get it. But yeah, the washing machine was completely fine, not even warm. So that was my first (and hopefully last!!) experience with a fire in a building where it was not welcome. Praise God that no one was hurt (except for Harolds fingers...he got a little burnt) and that the huge group of people didn't arrive yet, and that it was put out quickly with as little damage as possible!
So ok, now I will tell you about church yesterday, haha. Tina, Ryan and I went to Gepke's church called "De Poort" (yes, it's right across from the harbour) in the basement of the YWAM building. It was a really great service, and the people were so friendly! I met two or three people before the service even began, and afterwards we were invited to one of the ladies' apartment for dinner. Which was really good. and the fellowship was great...I love how easily and naturally they make you feel at home and welcome. so yeah, that was such a blessing.

1 comment:

oh my everything!!! said...

when is a fire in a building welcome? ;)