Wednesday, November 16, 2005

daily happenings

so today began as a gloomy sort of day...pouring rain and cold wind...so instead of going to the market in the morning with Rala to buy those 10 euro red shoes I knew she'd regret not buying, we stayed in my gezellig room and chatted and played cards and did other warm cozy rainy day type activities until it was time for her to go to work. And then I decided to brave the weather (ok, truthfully, I could see blue sky) and go shopping. Once outside I ditched the idea of cycling due to the fact that it's easier to window shop while walking and I took off in the direction of Dam Square.
ps, Rala just said something funny while I'm writing this so obviously I have to put it in: referring to her pants which are too big for her; I said she could get pregnant and then they'd fit to which she replied: "they're more like birth control pants. I won't get pregnant because I look fat in them." and also, Shanka can get pregnant while wearing "nothing." and Rala says "your own drool is what makes great hair days" These are the sort of random conversations that occur while living in a community for 30 international people...
Ok, back to my day. I went to a Christian bookstore and bought some books for the hostel *Thank you to those at my church who donated money so I can bless others with it!* and then I ventured to H & M and bought gloves (cuz I'm sick of my hands freezing while riding my bicycle and my mittens are too thick for this early in the season) and then I went to Hema and bought a pair of socks which are tall and will help keep my legs warm (oh, I am so thoughtful) and they are also cute, which is a must when buying socks. Oh, speaking of socks, everyone was commenting on mine tonight at Alpha, haha. but they're my cool frog ones, so obviously how could anyone not compliment them? And then on my way back I noticed a sign on a little shop that said "Tulip Museum" so I ventured in to the shop full of tulips and tulip related articles and in the basement is the musuem. It's very well done considering it's only one room. I feel very educated in the history of the tulip, and especially of it's role in the Netherlands. Of course I was previously aware of the tulip rage, but for 3 tulip bulbs to be sold for 30 000 guilders when the most expensive houses of the day cost 10 000 guilders is, well, crazy.
Ok, well, I'm going to play a game with Shanka to help repress her disappointment in the fact that she missed the worship time by a couple hours.
Also, I'm am super excited about staff day tomorrow because we are going skating! (ice skating or regular skating? That's what Ryan said. oh, frame of reference. Ice skating for sure.)

No comments: