Sunday, June 04, 2006

the sun is shining!

Today we said goodbye to Jimmy and Barry. They were great cleaners and a lot of fun to hang out with. We had some good conversations. I am so thankful for what God has done and is continuing to do in Jimmy's life especially...it's so cool! And now Jimmy has Canada on his list of future destinations, and it definitely wasn't there before. So who knows? Maybe I'll see him again!
The other night we had a line dancing outreach in the cafe. It was quite fun, and while some guests (boys mostly, haha) decided to watch and laugh, a number of others (male and female) joined in and had a lot of fun. Becky also shared her testimony and it was really good. So I'll be posting some pictures and videos on my other blog soon.
Also, finally, we have sunshine again! Today at least. That is very exciting, and while it's not exactly warm, it's definitely not cold either. 15 degrees is decent. I know to everyone at home that's not the June weather you're experiencing, but I am pleased because it is so much nicer than what it's been like here recently.
I've been thinking lately of all the things I still need to do before I leave. You know, all those museums I could have gone to all year, but always put it off since "hey, I'm here for a year, there's plenty of time still." And now I'm realizing that the "plenty of time" has dwindled. I guess I'll just have to plan my days with a lot more structure than usual.
For those of you who don't know yet, I'll be flying home on July 13. It's a little sooner than originally planned, but my school is starting a little sooner than originally planned, haha. But it will be nice to be home for a few weeks to readjust a bit, and I am thankful. God really worked a miracle with the flights (also thanks to my mom for not giving up) and so that's super cool. So now, not only do I need to plan my life for my last few weeks in Amsterdam, I also need to figure out how I'm going to see all my friends in Ontario and New York in 2 weeks, haha. Oh well, I'm not worrying about that...I'm sure something will work out somehow.
We have a lot of new staff here...they're pretty cool. It's funny to realize that we'll be leaving at the same time, or me even sooner! It's good to see all the gaps being filled (we finally have enough staff...for the first time since I've been here!) and it's also nice to know that when I leave I won't be leaving a huge hole that will be difficult to fill.

1 comment:

Dave Stoffer said...

wow dude, I can't believe your leaving so soon. I just feel like you will always be at the shelter. ha. Well what school did you end up pciking to go to? and I think that chicago needs to be on your list of places to visit.