Sunday, October 29, 2006

covenant awards

A few days ago we heard that the Covenant Awards were being presented at Centre Street. However, we thought it was all just gospel music. Yeah, we'd never heard of them before. But the radio announced that Starfield and downhere and Brian Doerksen etc. were playing and we thought "Dang, that's not so bad after all!" so we bought tickets to go.
(The Covenant Awards are like the Canadian Christian Grammy's)
We assumed that the dress code was formal, but the girl who sold me the tickets didn't know, so I called the church to find out, and they gave me some other number belonging to who knows who and the guy asked me if I was getting an award. Does my voice sound that great over the phone that people assume I can sing? Hmm...And, what difference does it make if I'm getting an award or not, since the dress code was formal? Of course he added that although it is formal, there would probably be some people in jeans. Jeans? To an awards show? What are these people thinking?
Well, Julie and I got all dressed up. But there's a problem with formal dresses, and that is the cold factor. So what do you think I did? Of course, I wore sweat pants under my dress. Julie thought I was crazy, but her cold legs convinced her to follow suit. And yes, we did take pictures of us looking absolutely ridiculous, but I don't have them on the computer yet. Patience, all, patience. Anyways, we jumped out of our sweats and left them in the car and met Christy (perfect timing!) at the door and we all went in.
It was a really fun night, and I am now a fan of people of whom I'd previously never heard. Like Amanda Falk. Way cool...great singer, and involved in a ministry that sounds awesome. Maybe I'll be involved in that, or something like it someday? I also liked Adreanne Lafleur, possibly because I think French is beautiful, and I could kind of understand it when she sang. Mostly I was just glad to have some French people representing, haha. The Joe was absolutely hilarious. I wish he lived around here so we could be friends and he could make me laugh all the time. "Half heart!" Random. Oh, and there was this lady dancing to him and couldn't help but burst out laughing. Maybe that is mean, but if you had seen her too you probably would have laughed. And I also really liked The Silent, and of course the fact that they're from New Brunswick. Quite enjoyable, and the lead singer has crazy facial hair going on. Crazy in a very well groomed sort of way. I wish I could have heard Shezza, but oh well. It's pretty cool that there's a category for Aboriginal Song though.
So I think that's all I feel like saying about the Covenant Awards. We're definitely going again next year (and we'll get cheaper tickets cuz we'll know about it early. Smart thinkers, us) so if you're in Calgary on October 26, you're welcome to come also.

Oh! And there is snow on the ground which is quite breathtaking. Ahh, snow. If only I had winter boots. *sigh* It's funny, usually I'm like "ugh, snow, grr" but not right now. Probably that will come in January. And February. And, come on, let's face it, August. October, though. Almost November. Sounds just about right. Have a blessed day; remember that God washes us even whiter than snow! What an amazing gift!

1 comment:

Sarah McAllister said...

oh man....sounds like fun....wish I were there!!! I would have ROCKED those sweats with you guys!!! haha!!! miss you megs!!! hope all is well with you!!! And not terribly hectic!!!