Monday, November 27, 2006

-40 C with windchill

*warning: rant may ensue*

Today is cold. Not the coldest I've ever experienced, but with windchill it was supposed to be -40. sorry, -39.3. Let's round it off to -40, shall we?
Truthfully, while it is definitely biting cold out, it does not feel like -40. Thankfully.

The thing about Calgary is they don't have snowplows. Well, I have seen one, maybe two. But they do not plow the road, let alone the sidewalks. I have to wonder how a province with such a massive surplus in their budget again cannot afford to plow their streets when it snows.
The Calgarians claim it's because all their money goes "out east", referring to Ontario. They believe that because the federal government is located in Ottawa, all their money therefore goes to Ontario. That is an excellent explanation for how our municipal taxes pay for our local snowplows.
My theory is that because Calgary experiences such strange, drastic weather they decided not to invest in snowplows. If they stick it out a few days without dying a chinook is bound to come and it will all melt. So why waste the energy and money on plowing when in a week or so it could all be gone naturally?
I would also like to say that if I were truly from "out east" I would be saying "It's some cold out here!" with a strong Maritime accent. Ontario is not "out east". Granted it is east of here. But I don't refer to Manitoba as "out west" even though it's west of where I grew up. So let's change the diction, shall we?
Also, while I know I'll have great love for chinooks, there's just something comforting about having 4 distinct seasons which are predictable. Maybe one of these years I'll be back in Ontario where I can experience that again...

2 comments:

Marco said...

Dang that's cold

Anonymous said...

megbone, thats frigid. please keep it up north so that us down below yall don't have to suffer.